Monday, February 11, 2013

Better Living

Today can pretty much be summed up in one sentence:

I MOVED INTO AN APARTMENT!!!!!


It was actually the only housing they had open, but it's what I was hoping for, since I heard it's quiet here. I am very, very happy now.
And as it turns out, I already knew like half of the people living in this flat from orientation, and the others whom I hadn't met are very nice too. The room is definitely quieter, which was my #1 reason for moving. I can hear the cars going by, but that doesn't bother me at all, especially not when compared to screaming party kids. And the kitchen is clean with a fridge that actually works (you seriously had to see the old common room kitchen to believe how bad it was; piles of dirty dishes in the still water sink, and there was a mysterious spoon on the counter covered in something green and gross which totally discouraged me from using the toaster behind it). My room is also bigger, or at least appears to be, and everything (ie the furniture and the carpet) is much newer and cleaner. I can also control my heating, so it's not a sauna like my other room was. The only real drawback is that we are responsible for collectively paying for electricity here, but I think we are going to talk to Arcadia about getting reimbursed for that. We're also not right on campus, but the commute is only 5 to 10 minutes, depending on which bus you take. And it's easy because the bus stop is right across the road, and buses come by about every ten minutes. I think this will prove a good starter lesson in teaching me how to commute.

Other than that it wasn't the most eventful day. I mean, the actual moving was pretty eventful because I got up at 8am to talk to residential services, got transferred right away, then had to pack everything up in my room and call a taxi to take me to the apartment off-campus, then go to the concierge to get my key, carry my bags upstairs, and unpack everything again. But after that, I got to relax and hang out with my flatmates before we left for another orientation presentation. I also signed up for my tutorials, which are supplementary to the lectures and consist of about an hour of group discussion. This made me realize that I really need to get my books and start reading them pretty darn soon. But I was only able to access the syllabuses today, so I must not be behind on things.

Anyway, there's not much else to talk about today that would be very interesting, so I'm just going to work on adding stuff to my agenda book now.

Song of the Day (Because I'm finally starting to get into the groove of things):

No comments:

Post a Comment