Sunday, February 3, 2013

On my way

My title made me think of this song. Seems appropriate.

I'm currently blogging from the Pittsburgh airport because there is essentially nothing else for me to do over the next hour.  I've flown by myself before, both domestically and internationally, so I'm not that worried about transferring to three different planes over the course of this trip. The only thing that slightly concerns me is that I might have to go through customs in Amsterdam. I think it's like a mini customs where you show them your passport and state your business, but I hope that's all, if anything.

It's weird though how I am already starting to miss Pittsburgh and everything there, like my family and my room and even the Heinz History Center, where I just went yesterday (ya'll should visit their 1968 exhibit because it is boss). For some reason, I'm already pretty excited to come home and do my radio internship in the summer. That's the next big event on my mind right now, and I don't know why. I guess it's because I'm nervous about going to school in a different country, and I'm not really looking forward to the actual school part, even though that's really the main point of the trip. I just hope I can adjust quickly because I know that at European universities you have fewer assignments and more reading instead. And then you have like two big papers that are worth way more points than a series of small assignments would be. I hate writing super long research papers and putting everything on the line in one assignment, and I'm afraid I'm going to be stressed about that when it comes up. But I think they have special advisers for study abroad students who are supposed to help you cope with that kind of thing. It's a bit odd that the thing I'm most worried about right now is school, not flying or how I'm going to live my daily life in a new environment.

But enough about those stressful things because I have Scotland-related things to show you.

This is the official tourism website for the city of Stirling. Note that the top of the "g" in "Stirling" is a heart, which I must point out is just plain adorable.

Speaking of hearts, I don't think they sell those little conversation heart candies in the UK, which is rather disheartening because I am one of about seven people in the world who loves them. Actually availability of certain products is one major difference that I am concerned about. I mean, obviously I don't expect them not to have what I absolutely need, but it's surprising what they don't have when you go to another country. But then it's also fun to see what they have that you don't, so it works out. Except in the case of Reese's peanut butter cups. Because they have no equal.

Anyway, there's apparently some kind of antique show that happens every month, and I'm interested to see that. I also really want to go to either Edinburgh or Fife to see a Capitals or Flyers game. And I will wear my Penguins jersey. Ironic, yes.
I prefer to go to a Flyers game though (which would not be true in America ever), partly because they are the oldest pro hockey club in the UK, partly because the Capitals suck and the Flyers are better from what I can tell, partly because I'm going to Edinburgh a lot anyway and would rather have an excuse to go to Fife, and partly because of this video.

I'm planning to go down to London too, at some point, maybe for spring break so the long train ride will be more worth it.

Also, I totally forgot to include Bert Jansch in my list of favorite Scottish musicians and bands, so here he is. He was a folk artist from Glasgow and made his fame in the 60s as part of the folk revival going on at that time. He was also in a band called Pentagle, which was pretty cool.

So recap: Bert Jansch:

Pentangle:

I've realized that these blog posts tend to contain music videos, so I think I'll make that a conscious inclusion from now on. Like end or begin each post with "here's a song that relates to my day somehow." Sounds like a good plan.

Fun Fact of the Day: They play classical music in the Pittsburgh airport, and the hallelujah choir is on right now. Presumably, the airport is a glorious place.

No comments:

Post a Comment