Sunday, March 3, 2013

To Do List

I'm taking a break from all of the [largely boring] reading I have to do this weekend and am making a list of all things I actually want to do.
  • Visit Alloa and Falkirk: these are small areas only a short bus ride from Stirling, so I might as well visit them, especially since I'd probably be able to cover each of them in a day or less
  • Stirling Old Town Jail: it doesn't open for tours until April, so waiting on that
  • The Pineapple: a building in Falkirk, built in 1761, that literally looks like a pineapple is growing out of the top
Awesome.
  • The Callendar House: just a pretty, historical house that you can tour
  • Falkirk Town Centre: shopping, yay
  • Bannockburn: where Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II in 1314; there are various statues/memorials around the area
  • Doune Castle: apparently really close to Stirling
  • Argyll's Lodging: it's free with my Historic Scotland pass, so why not?
  • Alloa Tower: also doesn't open until April, but it's from the 15th century, so I'd like to see it since there aren't any 15th century things at home
Alloa Tower
Things to see outside of Stirling area:
  • Isle of Skye and Eliean Donan Castle: arguably the most picturesque castle in Scotland or, like, anywhere

Let's go, let's go right now.

  • Shetland: there's a mountaineering club trip at the beginning of May, and it includes going to a folk festival there; definitely a must


Also they have short, fat ponies, who doesn't love that?
  • Glencoe; there's an Arcadia weekend trip going there, and I think I might jump on that (I just emailed them to see if there are still spots open); I've heard the landscape is really beautiful, and it has an interesting history with the infamous massacre that happened there
  • Loch Ness: right near Glencoe actually, so that's pretty much killing two birds with one stone
  • Fife: I still really want to see a Fife Flyers game, but I haven't found any hockey fans to go with me (here "hockey" refers to field hockey, so it's a little disheartening when I realize they're not talking about ice hockey, which nobody cares about at all here)
  • St. Andrews: I really need to go back there so I can get a good look around; I'm going to ask Moriah about good weekends to visit
  • Aberdeen: I'm not sure what there is to do there, but it's a fairly large city, so there must be something!
  • Inverness: the Battle of Culloden battlegrounds and Urquhart Castle are somewhere around there
  • Castle Stalker: really pretty and Monty Python related, as I mentioned before
  • Glamis Castle: one of the more talked about castles, it seems, so it might be worth going
  • Northern Ireland: if I have time and can figure out how to get there
Sadly, I don't think I'll actually be able to do every single one of these things, but we'll see! I feel like I keep wasting my weekends by not travelling, even though I am actually doing homework and other stuff I need to do. Plus, I've got to find people who both want to and are able to do all this stuff with me.



Song of the Day (although I definitely haven't been to enough places, yet!):

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen, I'm having a blast reading your blog and checking your song selection.

    ReplyDelete